Established by John and Mary Perry in memory of their beloved cat, Talker’s Fund benefits select animal welfare organizations in Portage County.
A unique aspect of Talker’s Fund is its connection to published children’s book entitled The Cat That Wouldn’t Purr. The book, which tells the story of a young male cat named Talker, was written by H. Page Stephens (Cleveland) and John Perry (Kent), and is illustrated by Akron-based illustrator Chuck Ayers. Ayers is known for both the nationally syndicated Crankshaft and Funky Winkerbean comic strips.
There are a number of gifts available to donors for their contributions to Talker’s Fund:
- A copy of the book is a gift for a $20 donation
- An autographed copy of the book is a gift for a donation of $25.
- One of three different, limited edition large prints from the book signed by Chuck Ayers, is a gift for donations at the $60 level.
- A copy of the book and a print are gifts to our donors at the $75 level.
- An autographed copy of the book and a print are gifts at the $80 level.
Donations to Talker’s Fund can be made online through the donation button below or through checks mailed to the Portage Foundation.