The Dr. Connie Stopper Nursing Legacy Scholarship is awarded in recognition of the registered nurses who have provided leadership in nursing care, nursing administration, and/or nursing education within Portage and Summit counties. It is given in special acknowledgement of the members of the Summit and Portage District Ohio Nurses Association who funded the scholarship and who contributed to nursing and health care in the district from 1946 to 2023. The scholarship was created to support nursing students who carry on the legacy of nursing in Summit and Portage counties.
Dr. Connie Stopper, PhD, RN was a longtime active and dedicated member of the Summit and Portage District of the Ohio Nurses Association until their dissolution in 2023. Throughout her decades of membership, she served on many committees and completed numerous impactful projects. In 2023 alone she held a seat on the Board of Directors and served as the Chair of the Professional Development Committee, Transition Committee, and Strategic Planning Task Force. Dr. Stopper completed her BSN and MEd at Kent State University, MSN at The Ohio State University, and PhD at the University of Kansas. Dr. Stopper has dedicated her life to the education and advancement of nursing and has held nursing faculty positions at several Ohio universities including Kent State University, Hiram College and the University of Mount Union. Dr. Stopper is passionate about nursing education, professional development, and leadership and has influenced and inspired nurses from novice to expert. It is with these values that this scholarship was created.
The scholarship is intended to assist and support the development of nurse leaders of the future. The scholarship is awarded to prelicensure, or registered nurse students enrolled in the baccalaureate or graduate nursing programs at Hiram College, Kent State University – Kent Campus, or The University of Akron – Main Campus.
Nursing applicant must be:
- A prelicensure student pursuing a baccalaureate degree in nursing and enrolled in junior or senior year nursing courses; OR
- A registered nurse enrolled in a RN to BSN program and enrolled in junior or senior year nursing courses; OR
- A registered nurse pursuing a graduate degree in nursing (e.g., Master’s, PhD, or DNP) and having completed at least 12 semester hours at the time of the award
- Attending Hiram College, Kent State University, The University of Akron – Main Campus
- Enrolled in at least six (6) semester hours at the time of the award
- Be a permanent resident of Portage or Summit counties OR employed in a heath care facility in Portage or Summit counties (e.g., acute care, community, or long-term care)
- Carry a minimum of 3.0 GPA in the program of study
- Submit a completed application by the deadline date that gives evidence of meeting eligibility requirements
- If in an undergraduate nursing program, submissions of transcripts from all institutions where coursework is or has been taken
- If in a graduate program, transcripts from all institutions where graduate work as been or is being taken
- Submission of a profesissonal reference from a faculty or supervisor from the place of employment describing his/her perception of your leadership skills in the provision of direct care, teaching/education, and/or administration
- Completion of an essay of not more than 300 words describing your goal/s as a professional nurse and the leadership skills you have for meeting your goal/s
- Submission of a resume