The Summit and Portage Nursing Scholarship was established by registered nurses from the Summit & Portage counties who were members of the professional nursing organization. It is to support pre-licensure junior or senior level nursing students, license practical nurses (L.P.N.) or registered nurses (R.N.) pursuing a baccalaureate degree in nursing at Hiram College, Kent State University, or The University of Akron
The Summit and Portage Nursing Scholarship is awarded to a pre-licensure nursing student, licensed practical nurse or registered nurse living or employed in Portage or Summit counties and pursuing a baccalaureate degree in nursing at Hiram College, Kent State University or The University of Akron.
Nursing applicant must
- Be a pre-licensure junior or senior nursing student pursuing a baccalaureate degree (BSN) program, or a returning LPN or RN working toward a baccalaureate degree (BSN), at Hiram College, Kent State University, or The University of Akron.
- Have a permanent residence in Ohio.
- Carry a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Preference will be given to students whose permanent residence is in Portage or Summit counties and who are attending Hiram College or the Akron University Akron Campus or Kent State University Kent campus.
- Financial status may be considered in making awards.
- Submit a completed application available on the Portage Foundation website by the deadline date including the essay and personal statement.
- Attach copies of all undergraduate transcripts from colleges/universities attended.
- Submit a resume.
- Provide a statement that describes any financial hardships you believe are important to your application.
- Attach a reference from a nursing faculty member providing his/her perception of your achievements in class or clinical or within the nursing program or college/university.